Serves 8-10, chill before serving.
- 1.5 cups quinoa, rinsed several times
- 3 cups water, or chicken broth or vegetable broth (or a combination)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas (frozen baby peas should be defrosted first)
- Chopped veggies, raw or lightly steamed (broccoli, asparagus, green beans, etc.)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 to 4 tbsp fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried dill)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Rinse quinoa well (quinoa tastes bitter if not well rinsed).
- Step 2 Bring 3 cups of water or broth to boil.
- Step 3 Add rinsed quinoa and bring back to boil.
- Step 4 Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until liquid is well absorbed.
- Step 5 Transfer to large bowl with a small amount of olive oil to prevent sticking, and allow to cool.
- Step 6 Meantime, mix together remaining oil, vinegar or lemon juice, parsley, and garlic and a small bowl.
- Step 7 Add veggies to quinoa and toss well with dressing mixture, dill, salt and pepper.